Sunday, June 12, 2011

Studio Report: Mauro Frison

As the album recordings continue today in Melbourne, Australia, drummer Mauro Frison reflects on his experience of the initial sessions at Transmission Rooms, Republic of Ireland.

"It was a very important experience for me. I was very lucky to participate on it, supported by patience and experience of a musician/composer like Duncan, and music engineer like Mick. The friendly relations between us, the pure air from the real Irish countryside made a good atmosphere during the recording. Another very important point was possibility to play using different types of drum kits - it was amazing to choose the exact sound we were looking for. The studio's equipement helped to record it so quickly too. And in the end of the day you really want to live there! Haha. To be honest I´ve never felt so comfortable and relaxed while recording. Also recording this music style was such a interesting experience for me. So far I have had a bit different one (like metal, stoner and folk music too), so I´ve never recorded such slow-tempo stuff on drums. So before that I was very focused listening to a slower-tempo bands like Nick Cave and Roger Waters, and many old school doom bands.


I can´t exactly define Alternative 4´s style. It's a mixture of different styles, sounds and cultural infuences, but at the same time it keeps its doom roots. From my point of view, these tunes they express real lonely feelings but lots of energy and melodies too. I think many old school doom/old Anathema fans will be nicely surprised. But as well, as I mentioned, it has different influences from other styles, so it´s gonna be more interesting than just a doom album." - Mauro Frison



The guitar and vocal parts will be recorded during the next two weeks with Mr Mark Kelson and myself working away here in Melbourne. We'll keep the blog updated and get some new pics and videoclips uploaded for you to see where we are at. Bye for now and thanks for the interest!

Duncan Patterson

2 comments:

  1. Well, what can one say? Keep up the good work, can't wait to hear the result and to get in touch with you. Paul

    ReplyDelete